Spring foraging
We grew a bumper crop of dandelions in the field this year and so I put some of them to use and made dandelion jelly. It tastes like honey. I still have to figure out the pectin and so it really came out like thick syrup but I liked it. I made rose hip jelly last year and my family liked that better when they compared the two. Rose hips have a lot of natural pectin and so that set up nicely. The morel mushrooms came from our friend Brian. He knows these mountains like none other and he holds a special place in our hearts. Most people here are very protective of their huckleberry spots but Brian was very generous with his knowledge. He has a huge Wirehaired Pointing Griffon named Chewie. I think Chewie has some Irish Wolfhound in him because he is so big. Chewie likes huckleberries and kids so Brian brings him and we go huckleberry picking every year. Brian brought over these beautiful mushrooms to share with us and they were beyond delicious. After eating white button mushrooms most of my life I am now besotted with the flavor of wild mushrooms. Brian told us how to find them and we are going on the hunt next spring. The kids didn't want to try them and so Jared and I happily ate them up while listening to reasons why eating fungi had to be a horrible thing. Sweet... more for us.
4 comments:
I'm impressed, to say the least. Would have never thought you could make dandilion jelly. I've heard of eating dandilion greens, but not making jelly from them.
Awesome, nothing better then foraging. We have a lot of morels down here, but I have yet to find any large patches.
Janalee,
How did you acquire a vocabulary incorporating the word "besotted?" You alternately crack me up and amaze me.I really am, however, thankful for your willingness to bless your family with your culinary prowess. My dad harvested dandelion leaves for a salad and Mom was a good sport and prepared it. A tad bit bitter for my young palate.
Okay, enough is enough.
Keep up your good work!
Love ya,
Mom
Mom- There is no other word I could have used except besotted- seriously that good. Love you.
Post a Comment