Jan 9, 2009

Fridays, Facebook and co-ed volleyball

Friday's are a slight challenge because it is chore day and things don't always go according to plan. My children just don't get excited about doing work- huh- who would have guessed. It has taken me a while but I now recognize the signs of chore avoidance.
1. protest loudly about how their friends don't have to do chores and that it isn't fair and then when mom says, "My parenting decisions are not made according to what your friends do" and "life is not fair"- depending on age- do one of the following:
a.fall on the floor
b.stomp foot, roll eyes
2. suddenly get ravenously hungry or have a violent need to go to the bathroom
3. look for the nearest younger sibling to tease, this being more entertaining then cleaning the bathroom.

It's okay though because my desire for them to learn how to work and be responsible is stronger than the discomfort of going through the tantrums and opposition. It helps that I can see progress and my dream is that when I am old and gray, I will get a lovely note in the mail that says, "Thanks for putting up with all the crimoney that I used to give you on Fridays, because of your tenacity and long suffering, mother dear, I am a responsible and contributing member of society." Or something like that.

I reactivated my Facebook account. I have to admit that I like seeing in my inbox a little notification that says that someone wants to be my friend. The whole idea is brilliant but it still makes me feel a little, I don't know, exposed. I don't know why blogging doesn't make me feel that way, but it doesn't. If you aren't on Facebook- come be my friend.

The volleyball season here in Bear Lake starts tonight. I didn't play at all last year because of the baby and I am looking forward to playing this year. Co-ed goes for a couple of months and then women's starts in March, I think. See? I am using something I learned in high school in real life.

2 comments:

Jensen Family said...

cute post janalee! your kids are too sweet to whine at silly things like chores! glad to see that mine are "normal"! have a great friday!

E. said...

I totally share your mixed feelings about facebook!!!