Everyone is at Stake Conference this morning (I started this post a few days ago) except Emmie and myself. She was up every hour last night. She is getting her first two teeth and I have had doctors differ with me but with all of my children- the first teeth emergence begets a host of problems for my babies. Colds, stuffy noses and fevers..all of which Emmie has and she is miserable. I am holding her, listening to her and the dog snore in harmony, enjoying the rare quiet. These last six months have gone quickly. We are enjoying her so much.
As I have listened to the conversation that this election has instigated on blogs, in the media and among family and friends; I am stunned at the foothold and support that socialism seems to have gained. I am surprised that it is almost embraced right now- that so many think that there isn't anything wrong with it. Just last week Jared and I were talking to some friends and someone expressed the thought that communism is just like the Law of Consecration. I shrugged and said something like, "I suppose, except one is done willingly." How I wish that I had read this article by Ezra Taft Benson before that interaction. Please take a few minutes and read this. Thanks to Cocoa for the link to that talk.
1 comment:
This was my favorite part:
On July 3, 1936, the First Presidency published this warning to Church members. I quote it in part; I hope you will get a copy of the full statement for your files. In part, the statement reads:
. . . Communism is not a political party, nor a political plan under the Constitution; it is a system of government that is the opposite of our Constitutional government. . . .
Since Communism, established, would destroy our American Constitutional government, to support Communism is treasonable to our free institutions, and no patriotic American citizen may become either a Communist or supporter of Communism.
To our Church members we say, Communism is not the United Order, and bears only the most superficial resemblance thereto. Communism is based upon intolerance and force, the United Order upon love and freedom of conscience and action. . . .
Communists cannot establish the United Order, nor will Communism bring it about. . . .
Communism being thus hostile to loyal American citizenship and incompatible with true Church membership, of necessity no loyal American citizen and no faithful Church member can be a Communist.
We call upon all Church members completely to eschew [and shun] Communism. The safety of our divinely inspired Constitutional government and the welfare of our Church imperatively demand that Communism shall have no place in America.
Signed,
President Heber J. Grant
J. Reuben Clark, Jr.
David O. McKay
The First Presidency
Post a Comment