Aug 18, 2010

It's getting clearer

oregano harvest


The summer has flown by. We have enjoyed the heck out of it. We are waiting patiently for tomatoes to ripen and zucchini to get bigger. The cool spring that we had has set things back a bit. We are hoping that our usual "third week of August frost" will skip us this year. The kids are getting ready to go back to school and about this time I always have the "should I homeschool" conversation in my head. This year the answer is no. I have been attending all of the school board meetings through the summer and it has been a valuable experience. I love where we live. The Bear Lake community is wonderful. Jared has been in the insurance business for about three weeks now. I'll post a picture of our 100 year old building. We have to wait a year to change the name so it will still be "Hulme Insurance" for that time period. I admire his drive and am thankful for his desire to protect and provide for his family.



I am in the process of rereading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. The book is a series of letters from Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood. Screwtape is a senior devil giving advice to Wormwood a junior devil on how to tempt a human (referred to as his "patient") that he has been assigned to. It is an incredible book and it has made it more plain to me that there really aren't any "new" ideologies. There may be new technology or new packaging but it really comes back to the same battle of ideas that have always been. One of my favorite quotes so far in the book:


"Do what you will, there is going to be some benevolence, as well as some malice, in your patient's soul. The great thing is to direct the malice to his immediate neighbors whom he meets every day and to thrust his benevolence out to the remote circumference, to people he does not know. The malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary."

3 comments:

Jill said...

Love your herb garden. I so want one. Eugene is talking about killing the whole yard and starting over. He wants to build an 18' geodesic green house and grow our garden in self watering buckets. Maybe I can have an herb garden then.

Eyre family said...

Love your C.S. Lewis quote. Happy gardening. julie

wild murdocks said...

The herbs are beautiful! Well done, my lady.

xoxo