
I apologize to those of my friends/family that have my blog on a blog list and have had the blog title "I have a plan to destroy America" on their list for a month and a half. I am much more at peace about the situation our country is in. Regular scripture study has expanded my understanding about the stage of the game we are in. It's a cycle that has been repeated over and over, in civilization after civilization. I have an obligation to stand up for correct principles, to be humble and prayerful and teach my children truth. I know that this country was divinely founded and the promises that have been made to the people who live on this land are wonderful... if we keep our end of the bargain. I'm trying to do that.
Sharp family update: We invited friends over for Thanksgiving this year. This is the first year that we haven't spent Thanksgiving with family. There were 22 of us all together and we had a great time. I love a full house with lots of food and laughter. There was the traditional post-dinner basketball game and craft and the day ended with a movie at the McDowell's and their new HUGE projection screen TV set-up. It was a good day.
The kids are well. Basketball starts soon for Bridge. Bridge and Trev both made the honor roll. Cass is hoping for a 4.0 when her semester ends in January. Emmie is talking up a storm and I am understanding about 40% of it. She is spicy. We sit in the front at church so that Jared can look down and give someone "the Eye" if need be. She keeps the congregation awake and entertained, so I've heard. She still gets a little teary when we take her to nursery but she likes it after about 5 minutes. We are looking forward to Christmas and I am almost done with the preparations. We are hoping for snow and some skiing. Pine Creek here we come!
I am reading a book called "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt. It was written in 1946 with a new preface written in 1978. When I read this: "The case against government-guaranteed loans and mortgages to private businesses and persons is almost as strong as, though less obvious than, the case against direct government loans and mortgages. The advocates of government-guaranteed mortgages also forget that what is being lent is ultimately real capital, which is limited in supply, and that they are helping identified B at the expense of some unidentified A. Government-guaranteed home mortgages, especially when a negligible down payment or no down payment whatever is required, inevitably mean more bad loans than otherwise. They force the general taxpayer to subsidize the bad risks and to defray the losses. They encourage people to “buy” houses that they cannot really afford. They tend eventually to bring about an oversupply of houses as compared with other things. They temporarily overstimulate building, raise the cost of building for everybody (including the buyers of the homes with the guaranteed mortgages), and may mislead the building industry into an eventually costly overexpansion. In brief in the long run they do not increase overall national production but encourage malinvestment". .... it sounded very familiar.
2 comments:
Amazing, isn't it. We are all so sophisticated today we know so much more than those who have gone before. He who refuses to learn from history is condemned to repeat it. Great comments and observations, Jana.
Janalee
Got your Christmas card today. Made my day!! Thanks tons for thinking of us. I'll get yours in the mail soon.
Take care and Love always
Hollie
Post a Comment