Dec 6, 2008

Being a mom is hard work

I belong to a "Time Out for Women" book club that meets once a month and reviews a book selection from Deseret Book. November's selection was The Mother in Me, edited by Kathryn Lynard Soper. It is a collection of essays and poems that discuss many different aspects of motherhood. My friend Aleisha gave the review and it was wonderful.

I find that so much of the time I am physically here but my consciousness isn't. If something happens (owie, argument, lunchtime) I come back but usually I am thinking of other things or listening to the radio or concentrating so hard on getting things done that I sometimes miss the daily wonder that my children bring with them -or the unspoken need for mom to talk to them. Since book club I have been making an effort to listen to what they are talking about with each other, talking about in the van, talking about to themselves and it has been downright joyful.

This morning we were all in my room and the kids were watching cartoons and I was reading. A Chia pet commercial comes on. After the commercial-
Lily: "I want a ch-ch-ch Chia. Ellie, do you want a ch-ch-ch Chia?"


I want a ch-ch-ch Chia too.

No comments: